Safety on the Upton-upon-Severn
Helpful information to keep you safe on the river
Safety on the
The River Severn is a great place to take to the water whether it’s your first time or you are a regular boater, but before setting out remember and keep in mind these health and safety tips;
- All passengers must wear a buoyancy aid or life-jacket when on the water!
- Never jump or swim in the river – it has very strong under currents!
- Boats can be unstable so take care when stepping into or out of the boat.
- Passengers must be seated with arms/hands in boat when moving.
- Make sure you have suitable clothing and footwear. Check out the weather forecast so you are fully prepared.
- Please navigate with caution at all times observing speed restrictions, bye-laws, navigational limits/instructions, waterways instructions and the advice of British Waterways and other navigational authorities.
- Take control of the boat and operate it in a way which avoids injury to people, wildlife, the environment or property, and show consideration for others.
- Always pass on the right hand side of the river and give way to laden or unladen cargo boats, rowing boats and other human propelled craft.
- Moor safely and follow regulations displayed at moorings.
- Please do not race or go over the speed limits. Remember, if your boat is going with the flow your speed will be faster than indicated. As a guide, 4 mph is a fast walking pace.
- Portable heating, lighting or electrical equipment or anything that may cause danger to the boat, its occupants or equipment are not permitted on-board the boat. No barbeques to be operated on board the boat.
- Please do not allow on the boat at any time more persons than the maximum number as advised at the demonstration.
- All passengers are responsible for their own safety and the safety of their possessions.
- All persons are expected to treat the wildlife and environment with respect. Please remember to take all litter with you and dispose of in the appropriate bins.
All bookings are subject to our Full Terms and Conditions. A copy of the relevant document will be sent with the booking form.